ABBOTSLEY

The hand carved village sign shows four kings, they are purported to be Malcolm, William, Harold and Macbeth. The village church which started its life in 1138, is dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch, and also has four kings on the corners of the parapet on the tower. Folklore has it that two of the king’s heads fell off and were put back onto the wrong bodies!!